Town of Garland, North Carolina
"Greatness Grows in Garland"
Post Office Box 207 190 South Church Avenue Garland, North Carolina 28441 (910) 529-4141
FAX: (910) 529-1393
History of The Town of Garland, NC
Even though Garland was not chartered as a town until February 8, 1907, there were residents here as early as the middle of the 1700's. William Cromartie had received several land grants from the King of England on both sides of South River. Mr. Cromartie had served in the English navy and had received as his pay these land grants. Upon his discharge he came to the Carolinas with his wife and young son and took possession of the land. Some of this land on the north side of the South River extended as far as present day Garland, as early as 1800; Dickson Sloan came to this area and married Catherine Cromartie, granddaughter of William Cromartie who gave this part of the land to her as a wedding gift. Dickson Sloan became an influential legislator for the State of North Carolina.
Mr. and Mrs. Sloan established their plantation that produced agricultural products, lumber, and turpentine that was used locally and alas shipped to Wilmington and other points. They established a school on the plantation to educate their young children and those of the neighborhood. Two of their sons became prominent doctors. Dr. Henry Sloan practiced at Ingold and Dr. David Dickson Sloan practiced locally. By the late 1800's a community had developed and was called Sloans Crossroads. The sand roads running from the direction of present day Roseboro and the Town of Lisbon, and the road from Ingold toward White Lake crossed and a small village was established. In 1886 news came to the Crossroads that a railroad was to pass through the community running from Sanford to Wilmington. Mr. Wesley Green and Mr. Jeff D. Johnson from Ingold came to the Crossroads and observed that the right-of-way was being cleared, but no depot was being planned for Sloan Crossroads, but depots were being planned for Parkersburg and Tomahawk. That meant that the people of the Crossroads would have to go to Parkersburg or Tomahawk to shop or receive goods. Mr. Johnson went to Greensboro and persuaded the officials to establish a depot here. The contract called for lots to be given to the railroad on both sides of the tract through town and the name would have to be changed, but it could not be a ville or a burg. The little town finally was named for the assistant postmaster general of the U.S. at that time, Henry Garland.
Garland quickly began to grow. Mr. E.C. Herring and Mr. William Sloan opened general stores. Mr. Jeff Johnson built a two story building with a general store on the first floor and a courthouse on the second floor. He also had a livery stable and sold horses and mules. A post office was established, a Baptist Church was built, and many houses were constructed as well as a hotel. Finally the town was chartered and Mr. Johnson became the first Mayor and held that position for 22 years. Dr. Charlie Sloan established his medical practice here. Later Dr. Amos Johnson opened his medical Clinic and Garland Drug Company. Dr. Johnson became President of the American Academy of Family Practice and established the first Physician Assistant program in his clinic.
By the 1950's the Garland Development Corporation was formed. Stock was sold and a building was erected to accommodate a factory for employment of local people. The first tenant was Fleetline Industries, which is now home to Garland Shirt Company. A town water system was installed for the town. By 1960 a city sewer system was established. In the late 1900's a new modern post office was created and a modern new bank building, Southern Bank, opened in 2010.
The Town of Garland is governed by an elected mayor and five commissioners.
Special thanks to Mr. Gene Hart for taking the time to compile this history.